In addition to the manufacturing and associated cost advantages, VCSELs possess performance advantages over both conventional LEDs and edge-emitting lasers.
- Low threshold currents for high efficiency and low power consumption
- Surface-normal emission, low divergence and circular output beam, ease of coupling, and simple optics.
- Easily scaleable to one- or two-dimensional arrays
- Very high speed, with rise and fall times of 100 picoseconds or less
- Controlled single transversal mode and polarization
- 4~5X better wavelength stability with temperature than conventional edge emitting lasers
- Manufacturing flexibility
- Package flexibility
|Power consumption (e.g. 1mW optical power)||2-3mW||20mW||3-5mW|
|Beam quality/ease of coupling to optics||Best, round low divergence||Fair, Asymmetric||Poor, Very wide divergence (Lambertian)|
|Speed||10Gbps||1 Gbps||0.1 Gbps|
|Speckle||Low in an array||High||Low|